June rains have replenished the fens of Harrison Benwell, an exceptionally beautiful piece of Illinois. In the early 1880s the Harrison family emigrated here from England and began farming. The Benwell family patriarch settled nearby after returning, on horseback, from the California gold rush. The Benwells purchased Harrison Farm in 1946. Winnie Diamon, heir to the farm, donated it in 1971 making it the first McHenry County Conservation District site. Wildlife, swamps, a meandering creek and massive oaks, spreading their limbs over the landscape, are on display.